Song: "Only the Young" by: Brandon Flowers
Feeling: Hopeful
Description: Like the last entry I am not very happy about this one either, but again, oh well. Basically this one is supposedly about "hope" and the feeling of "hopefulness" but I don;t think I did a very good job in writing about that.
The song is by Brandon Flowers the lead singer of the band The Killers, one of my favorite bands. The song's name is "Only the Young". Like with most songs I don't know what Brandon Flowers wants to say exactly with his song, but I do know I feel pretty hopeful when I listen to it. So whether he's trying to transmit that or not, the story is about that.
Oh and the story, which I am not 100% pleased with how it turned out, is basically about a girl whose been through a lot and then this friend of hers talks to her and they listen to a song and magically everything is okay and she is full of hope, because obviously that is how the real world works. >:( But anyways, enjoy. :)
Story:
The
rain came down hard against the window, the drops pattering on relentlessly as
the sky cracked with lighting and rumbled with thunder.
The
weather looks annoyed.
“I
thought I’d find you here.” His voice snaps me to reality. Now I am annoyed. I
didn’t exactly want to be found.
The reason I came up here in the middle of a thunderstorm in the first
place.
“Couldn’t
you have thought wrong for once?” I snap bitterly. He chuckles and I hate him
for it. Leave it to him to be cheerful right now.
“I’m
glad to see you too.” He responds as he sits beside me, his blonde hair is
illuminated by a flash of lightning. It strikes in the reflection of his
glasses and his eye blink I surprise as thunder rumbles close by. He fumbles
with his iPod. I know he’s going to out on some Killers music, they’re his
favorite band. And true to my statement he does. “Dustland Fairytale” begins to
play and he hums happily to it. “So, remind me again why are we here?” He asks.
I
know the answer. At least I know the answer as to why I am here right now.. I am here because I can’t be
anywhere else. Or to be more exact, I don’t want to be anywhere else. This is
my little alcove from the world, my little shelter from all that threatens to
drag me down. As to why he’s here, I don’t know.
To
my silence he asks another question. “Are you going to tell me what happened
this time?” He asks me. It’s his attempt at getting me to talk. He should know
me by now, I don’t exactly “talk” that
easily.
“How
about… No.” I answer back, an edge to my voice. He sighs and chuckles again.
“Well
are you at least going to tell me what’s wrong?” He tries again. His blue eyes
seem tired and I wonder if it’s because of me. It probably is. I am very good
at making people tired, or annoyed or just plain angry. Actually I consider it
a natural gift to mess things up. And I’ve gotten very good at it lately.
But
fact is I don’t want to mess him up. I don’t want him to get hurt because of
me, not like the others have. He doesn’t deserve to be here, alone, with me, a
15 year old girl who snaps at every thing he says. He should be out there with
people, he should be happy and laughing with his friends. Not cooped up trying
to get me to say words I don’t even want to think of.
But
I have to answer his question because if he’s here with me then he at least deserves
an answer, and I want to answer, to tell him. But I can’t. I’m scared. I hate
to say it but I am downright terrified of having to say those words to him. Of
having to tell him how guilty I feel.
I messed up. I messed up so badly
and now I feel so guilty. I got so many people hurt just because I was stupid.
I know what if I tell him he’ll say the same thing every one has. “It wasn’t
your fault. It wasn’t your fault.” And I’ll probably want to scream because
it was my fault. Don’t they get
it? I could have stopped everything from happening. But, no I had to let him go
didn’t I? He was little and scared and I had to let him go. I can feel hot
tears pushing at my eyelids.
Oh gosh, not now. I am not going to cry now.
“I
messed up” I say quietly. I don’t know how those words even made it out fo my
mouth but my voice cracks under their weight as they stumble out of me. I look
at him, at his caring blue eyes. They’ve never been a cold blue, they’ve always
been a bright and warm one, and they’ve never looked so out of place in this
dark world. “I messed up” I tell him.
I
hope he understands what I am trying to say with those two words. I hope he
doesn’t as for more. Because then, I swear, I am going to loose it.
He
doesn’t. He doesn’t do anything he just smiles a sad little grin and looks at
me. His eyes are still. “Hey, what ever happened, whose ever fault it was, you
have to let it go. You have to move on.” He tells me.
“How?”
I demand. “How can you just tell me to do that, I can’t just let it go.” He
shakes his head.
The
Killers is still playing. “Look back in silence, the cradle of your whole
life, there in the distance loosing it’s greatest pride, Nothing is easy,
nothing is sacred, why?”
“You
can,” He tells me. His eyes are sincere, and then I realize something else. He
is being sincere. He’s not just spitting
out his words to make me feel better. He’s not giving them to me so that I can
comfort myself with them. No. He means them. He believes them, and for a moment
I also do. For a moment the guilt that has been lying on my shoulders falls off
and my breath doesn’t feel heavy anymore. My thoughts don’t feel pressed down
because for the first time in a long time they’re not being clouded and slurred
with the memories, nor the guilt, no, they’re free.
“And
there were people there, lovely as you’d ever care, tonight, maybe you can
start again.”
A
small laugh is shaking my lungs and a smile parts my lips, because for the
first time in a long time I feel safe. I feel relieved. I feel hopeful.
“Laughing
in the open air, have yourself another dream, tonight, maybe we can start
again.” We sit there for a while in
silence, no words coming from either of us we’re only listening until I finally
break the trance with probably the nicest thing I’ve said all night.
“Thanks.”
I hope he gets what I am trying to say with that one word. I hope he
understands how he helped me. I hope he doesn’t ask because I doubt I would be
able to explain it.
He
doesn’t. Just like before he understands. He grins and nods.
Other
than that we say nothing. We go back to our small shells of silence to listen
to the rain and the song and the sound of hope that seems to fill the air.
The
weather still looks annoyed, the stars are still hiding, thunder still growls
and Brandon Flower’s voice is still singing.
“Only
the young can break away, break away
Lost
when the wind blows, on your own,
Only
the young can break away, break away
Lost
when the wind blows on your own,
And
the sun will shine again,
And
the sun will shine again”
No comments:
Post a Comment