Song: "Exitlude" by The Killers
Feeling: Welcome, acceptance, accepted, warmth
Description: Since I've heard it I've always liked the song "Exitlude" by the amazing band The Killers. I think the song has a war mood to it, the way they sing it, the rhythm, the way the chorus is sung and just in general the lyrics give off an aura of 'welcome' and 'warmth' which is what I wanted to write about in the story. Just what it feels like to be a part of something, welcome and accepted into something. So I tried to do that. :)
Story:
I
could still feel their good byes in the air. Their warm hugs still lingered on
my body, their last words, if you listened hard enough, could still be heard
echoing in the stars.
“Take
care out there Rory, not every one is as nice as us.” They had told me. They
had been joking, of course but I knew there was some truth in those words. I
could travel the world, search every corner of the planet and I don’t think I
would have found people as nice as them, people that could make me feel
accepted, welcome. People that could, if only for a moment, make me forget all
that weighed down on me. All that made me tire and regret. People that could
wash it all away with some bad joke. They
were those people.
And
I was going to miss them. The guy with the tussled brown hair and flannel
shirts who always had a bad joke to tell, the girl with the colored striped in
her hair that burned food in the microwave, the guy with the leather jacket and
serious face, the girl with the tattoo of a bird on her wrist. I would miss
them. The guy with the pale blonde hair and confused expression, the one that
looked at the ground constantly hoping to find the words he couldn’t say
written on the pavement was going to miss them. I was going to miss them
because in the short time I was with them I didn’t have to look for words, they
were right there, I didn’t have to fill in the awkward gaps of silence because
there were none, I didn’t have to live with the faults that threatened me down,
because with them I forgot them. With them I didn’t have to hide them. I didn’t
have to cover up the fact that I am not very good at talking, or the fact that
I don’t have much social grace either. With them those things didn’t matter.
They took me and the tag-along package that were my flaws, and they didn’t
care.
They
showed me themselves, showed me their dreams and talked about their futures as
if they were along head off but they were ready to dive straight into them as
if they came riding on the brink of tomorrow. They fished out my own dreams out
of me. They showed me themselves. Their favorite color, their favorite band, we
argued over music taste, debated on which was the best movie. They listened to
the small stuff like the fact that my favorite color is blue, not the pale blue,
but the deep rich one that covers the night sky, the startling one that swims
in the depths of the ocean. They cared. And I care about them. I now know that
Zachary’s favorite book is the Calving and Hobbes collection because he grew up
reading the strips on the Sunday newspaper. And that Mariah’s favorite movie is
Up, from Disney Pixar because she loves the talking dog. And that Issac’s
favorite band is Led Zepplin because he used to listen to them with his Father.
I know that Delilah likes antique cameras and rainy city photographs. I know
this because in the short time I was with them, I cared, and they cared about
all the little tuff that made us ourselves.
In
the short time I knew them I felt welcome, I felt accepted. I felt that every
time I opened my mouth to speak I didn’t have to shout my lungs out to have
them listen, they did so without me shouting. I felt that they wanted me with
them, I wasn’t the burden they had to be carrying around. For that short piece
of time I felt as if I was a part of something, I wasn’t an extra piece, I felt
accepted. I felt welcome.
Their
last good bye’s were said and they were echoed by the stars and moon:
“We
hope you enjoyed your stay,
It’s
good to have you with us,
Even
if it’s just for a day,
We
hope you enjoyed your stay,
Outside
the sun is shining,
Seems
like heaven ain’t far away.”
Hey Isa!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all I just want to say my mind is blown with all of the rich vocabulary in your post and the juicy detail for everything. I like how you organized your ideas by "Song:, Feelings:, and Story. I am also happy to say that apart from all of the blogs i have read, yours reveals a incredible effort and shows that you put a lot of time into it. I am very proud of you Isa, your whole blog is wonderful. therefore I have no constructive comment for you. Again, Great job and have a nice day.
Wow, Isa you did a great job on using juicy words. I really felt the emotion you were trying to show in your writing. I really liked how you organized your post. You organized it so well that it there was a flow to it. I really enjoyed your writing! This is so well written that there is no constructive comments for me to give you!! You did an amazing job!
ReplyDelete