Song: Asleep by The Smiths
Feeling: Anxiety, panic
Description: I am not entirely happy with how this entry turned out either, but I'm just going to leave it as it is. The song is "Asleep" by The Smiths. I think it's a nice song, a bit sad. As with most songs I am not sure what the writer wanted to say with them, but to me the song is about wanting to leave this world because you're tired of it, or you're going through a lot. Which is why when it says "Sing me to sleep, sing me to sleep, don't try to wake me in the morning because I will be gone, deep in the cell of my heart I've wanted this all along." In the song I think they use "sleep" as a metaphor leaving what ever place you are in which is why it also says "don't try to wake me in the morning, because I will be gone."and then "Don't feel bad for me, deep in the cell of my heart I've wanted this all along." So I think it has a sad meaning, but that's not the one I wanted to portray in the small story. Along with the sad meaning the song has, it also has a soothing effect to it. The piano and the gentle way it is sung, it makes you want to fall asleep. So I guess I am trying to show a little of both. And again I could be wrong on the song's meaning, but thats what I think it's trying to say.
The feeling is anxiety or panic, although I don't think I did a very good job of showing it. But basically it's about a guy who gets nightmares and is panicked after them.
Story:
The
night air was heavy in his room. It weighed down on his panting lungs and made
his sweat run cold. He twitched between his blankets, trapped in the world of
his nightmares until in a mere instant his eyes would snap open, his arms would
snap back and he would be up. Sweat making his sheets stick to him, hair
tussled, heart drumming, lungs screaming and his eyes blaring as the tried to
make sense of the dark.
Sighing
he sat up completely. Tearing the blankets from his body he shakily got up,
taking in cold gulps of air. His eyes were still wide but now they were used to
the dark that rained down on him. His hand searched for the light switch and
with a click the room was ablaze with a dim golden glow. Blinking he ran his
hands through his hair, trying to calm down his mind which was still running in
circles, still panicked form its most recent nightmare.
He
had them often. Every night or so. He would lay his head down to rest only to
be greeted by the dark grasp of his dreams, only to be pulled down by the
gravity of panic and anxiety. Insomnia had come soon afterwards. His mind never
seemed to go back to it’s calm state after a nightmare, it would spend hours
drumming inside, his thoughts racing and knotting themselves up in a mess until
dawn would creep in and he would just give up on counting sheep and hope that
coffee might make up for the lack of rest that night.
It
never did. His eyes felt tired and burned all day long, his mind slurred and
his body seemed to be pressed down. But the moment he put his head down to rest
was the moment his nightmares would come, the moment his worst fears would
bloom inside his thoughts and slowly drown everything out.
Sleeping
pills didn’t work. Neither did dream catchers and he was left to deal with the
nightmares on his own. They weren’t really nightmares. If they did they would
just exist in the sleeping world, but his dream monsters came to life in the
day too. They would clog his tired mind and blur his sleepy eyes until he would
almost believe that they were real.
He
ran his hands through his hair again, making it stand on end. On most nights,
after a dream, he would lie down again and try to regulate his breathing and
calm down his mind. He almost never did but tonight was different. Tonight he
didn’t even try. Tonight he was going to do something else.
Shakily
his fingers fumbled with the white plastic covered wire, trying to get the
knotted earphones undone. He plugged them into his small music player, all the
while his mind shaking in fits while he remembered the monsters from his
nightmare.
The
small music player came to life with a click of a button and his eyes searched
mindlessly for what he wanted. He already knew, and he needed no thoughts to
command his movements right now.
Music.
That’s what he wanted. That was his last hope, maybe the notes or the voices
would help him. Maybe they would chase away the nightmares. Laying back he
clicked the light off, evolving him in darkness again. A small tune blasted
into his mind as he closed his eyes and repeating his nightly ritual he
breathed in and out, soothing his heart as it banged against his rib cage.
His
mind slowed down as it listened to the lyrics and slowly sleep fell on him like
a blanket, drenching his body in warmth as The Smiths sang him to sleep.
“Sing
me to sleep, sing me to sleep,
I’m tired and I want to go to bed.
Sing
me to sleep, Sing me to sleep,
There is another world,
There is a better world,
There must be..."
No comments:
Post a Comment