Song: "Human" by Civil Twilight
Feeling: Forgiven, loved,
Description: The song is "Human" by the great band Civil Twilight. I always think the song has a nice tone to it, it's sort of gentle and sweet and at the same time it's a bit bittersweet. Also I think it's talking about how the flaws in your nature make you human. How the fact that you make mistakes and mess things up is part of being human, which I guess sort of fits the story, which is basically about a guy who left home and then regrets it and is going back. In other words it's about him feeling forgiven by the people that never really gave up on him. So, there you go. :)
Story:
I
stand, out of place, twirling my thumbs under the golden beam of the porch
light. My heart beats steadily and even though I try to hide this from myself I
can feel the pulse of nervousness in my chest. It’s been there for a long time.
Appearing every time I think of this place, of this door with the cracked
wooden paint, the smooth doorknob and the faulty lock that opens if you push
hard enough. At this moment I want nothing more then to retreat into the
darkness, I want nothing more then to be invisible so that when they open the
door they don’t see me. So that they don’t have to see what I’ve become, so
they don’t have to know because if they did I don’t know what I would do
But
my wishes have a knack for not coming true and the door opens. She is there,
standing, her caramel brown hair tied up in a ponytail, still wearing a faded
band t-shirt, still wearing worn in jeans and that expression on her face, just
like the last time I saw her. But this time her gentle face melts off and shock
comes into her features. “Charlie.” She says looking at me. I nod hoping she’ll
recognize the stranger with tussled dark hair, tired eyes and a jacket that
seems to fall all too heavily on his shoulders. Hoping she’ll recognize me.
“Hey, Jo,” I say huskily. Her violet eyes look me over quickly
and I know she does because she throws her arms around me. Stiffly I hug her
back. I don’t deserve her hug, I don’t deserve her joy at seeing me, not after
what I’ve done, but I take it anyways because sometimes it feels good to have
something you’re not allowed. Some times it’s what you need. “You should come
inside.” She says releasing me. I nod again. No words seem to be able to come
out of my mouth, no ‘hellos’ or ‘glad to see you’, and I know it’s only going
to get harder to speak once I am inside.
It
does. The place is just as I remember. The smell of coffee dances in the air,
quiet music whispers through the wooden walls which are bathed in warm light.
Leo the cat is curled up in an armchair, he looks up as he sees me, his large
eyes scanning me with a serious look. “Say hello, Leo” Jo says, Leo only looks
displeased, he never really liked me and his name is not Leo, it’s Leonardo, he
likes to make that very clear. It makes him look classier.
We
move along through the hall, books rise up in towers around us. Pictures of
fields hang on the wall. At this point you have to watch your step to make sure
you don’t step on anything, the floor is littered with books which have fallen
off their place, rolled up maps, odd artifacts and a large ball of black fur
that is cannoning towards us at
top speed. Or it’s speeding towards me more specifically.
Mika,
the dog pounces on my chest making me stumble backwards as she laps at my face.
Her eyes are wild with joy and her tail wags in hysterics. I always liked her
and she’s always liked me. She’s a large black dog with kind brown eyes and an
energy that could power the world. Her real name is Duchess Mika, Jo and I
named her when we were younger, but she isn’t picky about what we call her, and
that’s the great thing about her, she’ll come, if she knows you’re calling her,
she’ll come.
“Whose
there? Jo?” A mans voice comes from down the hall. His silhouette makes shadows
run down the walls and the light illuminates his face. A brown beard and kind
eyes behind horned glasses. He wears a flannel shirt, as always, and jeans,
just as I saw him last time. “…Charlie, is that you?” He asks. His voice sounds
shattered, and I can hear the hope in it. The hope that I’ll answer and be the
Charlie he remembers. The little boy that used to fall asleep on the couch and
read Calvin and Hobbes on the Sunday newspaper. I’m not. I’m sorry, but I’m
not.
But
I answer. “Yeah, it’s me.” I say. My voice is too quiet but it reaches him and
his lips part in a smile. A smile I don’t deserve, but again, I take it. I take
it without a second thought. I take his embrace too, he squeezes the air out of
me and pats me hard on the back as always. “Charlie, my boy,” He murmurs.
“Where have you been?” He asks me. His eyes are smiling and I really don’t want
to answer that question although I have a feeling he already knows. He must. I
wrote it down in the note I left when I decided to leave.
“Places.”
I answer. I’ve been up and down, and left to right but the only place I wanted
to be is here. He nods and smiles. Jo is behind him, also smiling. Leo is in
her arms.
“John!
What is taking you so long?! I need you’re help in the kitchen, John!” Rosemary
bobbles out into the hall. “Good heavens John, what in the world are you…” her
voice trails off as her eyes fall on me. Her hair is escaping its tight bun at
the back of her head and she is dressed in her flower print dress. Her cheeks
are round and red, just as I remember and her lungs are just as strong as they
used to be. “Charlie….” She says quietly. I nod, walking towards her. “Oh
Charlie!” She says. She is speeding towards me, her arms outstretched and her
face glowing and I find myself falling into her hug. It’s tight. A mother’s
hug. She’s not my mother, but she might as well be, she practically raised me.
And John could be called my father, and Jo my sister.
“Hello
Rosemary.” I say as she lets go. Her eyes are sparkling with tears and I can
feel my own grow hot.
“Oh,
Charlie, I missed you my dear.” She says. Then, true to her rituals, she begins
to berate me. “You’re too thin, I suspect you haven’t been eating well, I’ll
cook something up. No, don’t disagree with me. Jo, get him some warm coffee to
drink. I said don’t disagree with me.” She begins as she bustles off into the
kitchen. Jo grins at me and Mika swivels through us.
“Come
on, we best go sit.” She tells me. John leads the way into the living room.
It’s alight with small lamps and the sounds of a cackling fire, which sits
humbly burning in the fireplace. It’s just as I remember. Leo finds himself a
comfy spot and Mika lies down near me, her tail wagging.
Just
as they say, I would like to be as good as a dog thinks I am. I would like to
be as good as they all think I am. But I can feel the shame burn up inside me. I
can feel the hurt that I caused, and I know I’m not.
“Here
you go, Charlie. You better eat all that up.” Rosemary says as she hands me a
plate of cookies, I can tell they’re fresh and warm. She places a cup of milk
beside me and for a while that’s all the sound there is. Me eating the cookies,
Mika’s tail wagging, Leo purring and the constant beat of love that seems to
run through this room. Something I missed. Something I took for granted.
“So,
Charlie, five months?” John asks. Yes. Five months since I left. Five months
I’ve regretted. Five months since I’ve wanted to come back. Five months since I
hurt them. Five months since I stepped in this room, eaten these cookies,
petted Mika and saw them. Five months. Five months of guilt. Five months.
“Yes…”
I answer. “I’m sorry,” I say quietly. “I’m so sorry.” I hope they hear the
plead in my voice. I hope they hear the guilt. I hope they understand. I’m
asking the impossible, but if there is some one who can do it, it is them.
And
they do. Rosemary only smiles at me, Jo rolls her eyes and grins and John
shakes his head gently grinning as he does. “So are you here to stay?” He asks
me.
It’s
a question but it’s also a fact. It’s their way of saying that I am welcome
here. That here I am Charlie. In here I still read Calvin and Hobbes and play
with Mika. In here I am not the cold person I am to the world. In here there is
no guilt on my shoulders. In here I am Charlie. Plain and simple. Charlie. In
here I am just Charlie.
So
I answer. “I think so.” I say. “I think I am.” And in that room with a happy
dog and a picky cat, the room with the humble fire and the girl who wears band
t-shirts, the room with the man with the kind eyes and the woman with the loud
and caring voice, in that room I felt safe. I felt forgiven. I felt loved.
“It’s
only love, it’s only pain,
It’s only fear that runs through
my veins,
It’s all the things I can’t explain
That make us human.”
No comments:
Post a Comment